The Apostles Taught Christ Is A Man

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 02:33 AM

In fact, when we come to examine the number of places in the NT where Jesus is unambiguously referred to as “theos”, we find that only two such places exist:

1) John 20:28 - 'The Lord of me and the elohim of me'. (The confession of Thomas)

2) Hebrews 1:8 - 'Thy throne, O elohim'. (A quote from Psalm 45, in which a king of Israel is called 'elohim')

The real problem for the trinitarian is that the apostles repeatedly insisted that Christ was a man. They went around telling this to everyone! (How infuriating for the trinitarian.)

#2 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 02:34 AM

Here's the first preaching campaign of the apostles:

Acts 2:
22Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

A man approved of God, by whom God did miracles. Note that God is one person, and that He is separated from Christ, who is described as a man.

Not a good start to the trinitarian cause, was it? But they don't stop there - they just keep calling him a man!

#3 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Acts 3:
22For Moses truly said unto the fathers,  A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.

Here Peter quotes Moses, who prophesied of Christ. But wait - he draws especial attention to the fact that Moses prophesied that the Messiah would be of your brethren, like unto me. How is this going to convince anyone that Christ was God? Let alone the trinitarian dogma...

#4 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Let's continue, and see if it gets any better for the trinitarian:

Acts 7:
37This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.

Here Stephen quotes Moses, just as Peter had before him. Again he draws especial attention to the fact that Moses prophesied that the Messiah would be of your brethren, like unto me. How is this going to convince anyone that Christ was God?

#5 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Well, nothing like the Deity of Christ yet, let alone the trinity... Let's see what else they had to say:

Acts 13:
22And when He had removed him, He raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also He gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.
23Of this man’s seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

Here is a parallel between David (the king raised up by God), and Christ (the saviour raised up by God). We are told specifically that David was a man, and we are told specifically that Christ was 'of this man's seed', but curiously the declaration of Christ's Divinity (essential to the doctrine of the trinity), is completely absent.

#6 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

So much for the public preaching campaigns of the apostles. What about their epistles?

1 Timothy 2:1
5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

One God, one mediator between God and men - the man Christ Jesus. Note that God is one person, the mediator is another person, and that this mediator is a man.

Well, what a summary of evidence! If Jesus is literally God, I’d have to say that the writers of the New Testament have been extraordinarily coy about admitting it. Thomas’ words constitute the only place in the NT where the word 'god' is applied to Jesus without an explicit connection to the OT practice of calling men 'gods' (elohim).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users