21 replies to this topic

#21 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:23 PM

Oddly, you keep proclaiming that what you write is your own, and get on others for not doing the same – and then quote Paul who says that what he teaches – is not his own!

There is, of course, a difference between Paul saying “I received this from Christ” (which he did!), and a Catholic saying “This is what Thomas Aquinas has to say”, when I ask him for his own views on the matter.
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#22 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:24 PM

You rightly say that the Apostles were Spirit guided, correct?

Correct.

Ever notice how, even after seventeen years of ministry, the revelations from Christ Himself, the remarkable conversion on the road to Damascus, the personal writing of Scripture, even Paul went to the Church to verify that the Gospel he was preaching - was correct?

Are you telling me that a man who possessed the Holy Spirit, and confidently assured the recipients of his own epistles that his writings were inspired, now has doubts about what he’s been teaching? That doesn’t sound right, does it? After all, if we take this road, we are left with no basis for any confidence in the Magisterium. (Sure, they’re “guided by the Holy Spirit”, but what if they’re still wrong?)

I don’t see that this passage tells us any more than that Paul delivered his gospel to men of good reputation (elders of the ecclesia, most likely; see I Timothy 3), in order to ensure that his precious communication might not be perverted, and his work in the Galatian ecclesia gone to waste.

None of this has anything to do with personal judgement.
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users