If The Trinity Were False

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Alethia_*

Guest_Alethia_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2003 - 09:41 PM

One cannot explicitly deny a concept that has not yet been invented. One can state positively what IS true, but one cannot state explicitly the disproof of alternative possibilities that have never yet described. We can state positively that God created the world. We could not look for an explicit statement denying the theory of evolution as such, 1800 years before the theory of evolution was ever conceived.

Now, Scripture was complete several hundred years before the theory of the Triune God was ever conceived or articulated. Since it is never mentioned in Scripture at all, we cannot reasonably look for a statement in Scripture that says “The Trinity is false,” as no one at the time of the writing of Scripture would have any idea what the theory of the Trinity was. How then could Scripture deny it? What statement could it make?

If Scripture were to include statements that excluded the possibility of the theory of the Trinity, what sort of statements might we look for it to make? Here is what I would think we would look for:1) A statement that the Father alone is the True God:
John 17:3 “That they might know thee, the Only True God”

2) A statement that God and Jesus are separate and distinct:
John 17:3 “and Jesus Christ, whom thou (i.e. the Only True God, the Father) hast sent.”

3) A statement that there is only one God, and that God is the Father:
I Corinthians 8:6 “For to us there is but One God, the Father and one Lord Jesus Christ

4) Statements that there is one God, and that Jesus, by contrast, is a man:
I Timothy 2:5 “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus”
Acts 2:22, 30-33 “A man approved of God”

5) Statements that Jesus had no power of his own, but only that delegated to him by God:
John 5-30 “I can of mine own self do nothing”
John 5:19 “The son can do nothing of himself”
John 8:28 “I do nothing of myself”
Matthew 9:8 they “glorified God, who had given such power unto men” (i.e. unto Jesus)
Matthew 28:19 “All authority is GIVEN to me in heaven and in earth.”

6) Statements that Jesus was not spirit, but flesh, a man, like us:
I John 4:2 “Jesus Christ is come in the flesh”
I John 4:3 “Jesus Christ is come in the flesh”
Hebrews 2:14 “Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same.”
Luke 24:39 – (after the resurrection): “A spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have”

7) Statements that Jesus was tempted like we are, yet overcame it
Hebrews 4:15 “Tempted in all points like we are, yet without sin”
Hebrews 5:7 Jesus “learned obedience”

8) Statements that God has no “dual nature” nor nature of man, but is a completely different sort of being:
Numbers 23:19 “God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?”
Hosea 11:9 “I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of thee: and I will not enter into the city.”

9) Statements by Christ rejecting equality with God:
John 14:28 “The Father is greater than I”
John 5. In v18, the Jews falsely accused Christ of claiming equality with God. Jesus in the rest of chapter specifically denies that charge seven (7) times, at least:5:19 “The son can do nothing of himself”
5:20 “For the Father loveth the son, and showeth him all things that himself doeth.”
5:22 the Father “hath committed all judgment unto the son.”
5:26 “so hath he (the Father) given to the son to have life in himself.”
5:27 “and hath given him authority to execute judgment also.”
5:30 “I can of mine own self do nothing”
5:30 “I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.”
I Corinthians 11:3 “ The head of Christ is God”
I Corinthians 15:28 “Then shall the son also be subject”
Mark 13:32 “But of that day and hour knoweth no man . . . neither the son”
Matthew 20:23 “It is not mine to give”

10) Statement by Christ stating that God is also his God and Father, just as he is our God and Father:
John 20:17 “My Father and your Father, My God and your God”
Ephesians 1:17 God . . of our Lord Jesus Christ
I Peter 1:3 God . . . of our Lord Jesus Christ
Romans 8:17 we can be joint heirs with Christ
Matt 27:46, Mark 15:34 and Psa 22:1 “My God, My God”
Heb 1:9, Psa 45:7 “therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.”

11) A statement by Christ, explaining how the term “God” (theos or elohim) could be applied to him without implying that he is The One God:
John 10:34-36 Jesus points out that other men were also called elohim, without any blasphemous implication.

12) A statement explaining clearly how Jesus is “one” with God:
John 17:21-23 We can be “one” with God, with Christ, and with each other, in exactly the same way that Christ is one with God.
[/list]In other words, I really don’t see how Scripture could have been more explicit in point by point denying the Trinity. It absolutely positively rejects it.

What more could the Bible have said to reject the Trinity? How could it possibly have been more clear and direct? What statement could Scripture possibly give you that would be any more obvious? If you reject such statements as those above, ask yourself if there is any possible statement that anyone could possibly devise that would adequately deny it. If the Bible had a verse that said: “There is no Trinity. It is a false doctrine;” ask yourself how you would seek to explain that to fit into Trinitarian doctrine. If you reject the other statements above, then you would reject this statement also. Actually, I already know how a Trinitarian would cope with such a statement. I have heard it quite a number of times, used to explain the absence of any statement of the Trinity in Scripture. A Trinitarian would say: “Oh, of course the Trinity is just church dogma. I don’t believe in the doctrine of the Trinity. I just believe in the God who is one God in three persons, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.” That’s what a Trinitarian would probably say if faced with such a statement. Though one rose from the dead, yet will they not believe.

I am reminded of the story of the man praying to be saved from a flood who kept sending rescuers away because he depended on God to save him. People keep rejecting the direct words of God and Christ that directly deny the deity of Christ, and turn instead to inferences, deductions from inferences, “if not” questions, and all of the many other supposed “hints”, “glimmerings”, and the like, while refusing to see the obvious clear and direct statements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users