2 replies to this topic

#1 Hyperion

Hyperion

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:17 AM

I just read a good summary of Quantum Theory and its history that explained things in an way that is even if you didn't like Science in High School will make sense. It can be found
here. You may need to register to read it. If there is interest I could repost it here, but there might be some copyright implications.

The universe God has created is a very, very weird place!

"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all." (1 Tim 1:15)
"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself" (Johann Albrecht Bengel)
Christadelphian Books Online | The Agora | Toronto West Christadelphians

#2 luke

luke

Mu

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:35 AM

So, basically, does quantum physics say that when something happens - possibly even something that happens repeatedly - it is purely by chance that it has happened (or something like that)?

#3 DJP

DJP

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:45 PM

Subtitile should read "about 100 years of uncertainty."

So, basically, does quantum physics say that when something happens - possibly even something that happens repeatedly - it is purely by chance that it has happened (or something like that)?

Something like that.

One can only ever calculate the probability that an observation will have a particular result. But if you're talking about macroscopic particles, the probability of the Newtonian thing happening (e.g. the moon being seen in the expexted spot) is absurdly close to one.

DJP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users