#1 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:40 PM

Daniel 12:2
And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Many of the dead shall rise (not all) and of those who do rise, some will receive salvation while others will be rejected.

Those who do not rise, are simply excluded from the possibility of receiving either salvation or condemnation.

Salvation is therefore not universal.
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#2 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:42 PM

Galatians 3:22
But the Scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
The promise is conditional; it extends only to them that believe.

What kinds of people are those who "believe"? Adults. Adults who know and understand God's message, and who confess their sins, repent, accept baptism, and promise to obey God. (Acts 2.)

Salvation is therefore conditional.
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Credo.

#3 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:46 PM

Hebrews 4:1
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
We are warned to fear because, after having received the promise itself, we might still fall short of it. How? By refusing to obey God, or merely obeying Him intermittently. (God requires a lifetime of dedicated service; not a spare afternoon or two.)

Credo.

#4 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:48 PM

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
We "receive the promise" after we have "done the will of God." We cannot "receive the promise" unless we "do the will of God." We are called to do the will of God with the expectation of receiving the promise.

Credo.

#5 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:50 PM

I Corinthians 9:24
Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
We have to run, in order that we might obtain - and just as many run but not all finish the race, so not all of those who run will receive a prize.

Credo.

#6 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:52 PM

I Corinthians 9:25
And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
We strive in order that we might receive an incorruptible crown.

Credo.

#7 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:55 PM

I Corinthians 9:26-27
I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
Paul runs, and fights (keeping his body under subjection) in order that he might not become a castaway. This is presented as a necessary and ongoing process which continues for the duration of his life

Credo.

#8 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:00 PM

The primary condition of salvation is obedience to the will of God and the commandments of Christ.

Thus:
  • Matthew 5:18-20
    For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
    For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

• John 14:15-21
    If ye love me, keep my commandments.
    And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
    I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
    Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
    At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
    He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

• John 15:9-11
    As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
    If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
    These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

• I Corinthians 7:18-19
    Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised.
    Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

• I Thessalonians 4:1-2.
    Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
    For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.

• I John 2:3-4
    And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar
    , and the truth is not in him.

• I John 5:1-3
    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
    By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
    For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Credo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users