2 replies to this topic

#1 jes1994_*

jes1994_*

Epsilon

• Non-Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 02:15 PM

I got this verse thrown at me during a discussion on immortal soulism. The KJ rendering is "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God;"

Here's how the Greek looks

Stephens 1550 Textus Receptus
estwtaV enwpion tou qeou

Scrivener 1894 Textus Receptus
estwtaV enwpion tou qeou

Byzantine Majority
estwtaV enwpion tou qronou

Alexandrian
estwtaV enwpion tou qronou

The difference between them is whether to use theos (God) or thronos (throne). For comparison, let's see something more up to date. From Rotherham's Emphasized Bible: "And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne;"

Which versions use "throne"? ACV, ASV, BBE, Darby, DRA (in verse 4), DRC, TEV, God's Word, HNV, HCSB, ISV, Murdock, NASB, NCV, NRSV, RSV, Weymouth and WEB. The Vulgate uses the "throni", latin for "throne".

Which versions use "God"? The NLT and BWE compromise with "God's throne". The NKJV uses "God" but puts in a footnote that the Alexandrian and Majority read "throne". The LITV, Webster and YLT use "God". And for the historically curious, the Tyndale and Geneva use "God".

The interpolation popped in when the Erasmus was compiling his text. He only had one manuscript that contained Revelation, and that was a twelfth century text. We've found much older texts since that time, and updated our manuscripts accordingly.

The discussion on this verse was that since God was in Heaven, and since we would be standing before God, the immortal soulist was asserting that this verse meant that we would be going to Heaven when we die. The Christadelphian view that the responsible are resurrected and judged on Earth at the Great White Throne is supported by the older texts, and by the numbers of texts.

#2 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:55 AM

Terrific, Jes! I never even knew about this one.

Thanks for a valuable contribution. :)
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#3 Guest_Mishael_*

Guest_Mishael_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2003 - 06:06 AM

thanks Jes! your insight and comments are much appreciated :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users