The Three 'persons' Of The Trinity

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Alethia_*

Guest_Alethia_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:58 PM

Scriptures which mention God/Father, Son & Holy Spirit in some form

There is no scripture that mentions the Trinity or the triune God or any such thing in any words, or says that God is three persons. It is not just the word that is absent, but any mention of the concept in any words. I have been collecting scriptures that mention all three parts of the supposed Trinity in close proximity. I figure, if there really were a Trinity it would be mentioned in one of those. These are the ones I have found or had pointed out to me:

Matt 3:16-17 (baptism of Jesus)
Matt 28:19 (baptismal formula)
Luke 1:35 (Annunciation)
John 15:26 and John 16:7-8 (Comforter to come)
Acts 2:32-33 (Jesus raised and exalted by God)
II Cor 13:14 (benediction)
Gal 4:6 (God sent spirit of his Son)
Eph 2:18 (access by one Spirit to the Father), Eph 3 (whole chapter), Eph 4:3-7 (One body, one Spirit, on Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all).
Jude 20-21 (the Faith: praying in Holy Spirit, the love of God, the mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ)

The text of these passages is printed at the end of this, except for Eph 3-4, which is spread over two chapters and is too long to reprint:

I John 5:7 is acknowledged by all scholars as an "insertion" (i.e. forgery) and is therefore omitted from all modern translations, so I didn’t count it though I do print it below. This appears only in the King James Version and a few very other very old translations. Actually, even if it were genuine, it still just says that the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit are in heaven and are in agreement. Note also that this forgery is the primary source text for calling Jesus the “Word,” as opposed to “The Word made flesh,” which has quite a different connotation.

I have tried to be generous in listing questionable passages in order to have a comprehensive list, so some of these that I have listed are not all that clear as to the three “persons.” Some of them are kind of vague about one of the parts, particularly the Spirit

None of these even begin to suggest that God consists of all three. Rather, many of them list the three as God, Jesus, Spirit, which would seem to define the Father alone as God, and several of them specifically refer to the Father alone as the One God. None of them appears to be in any way a statement of the
Trinity. None of them suggest that the three parts are all God. None of them use any phrases like “God the Son” or “God the Holy Spirit.” None say that the three are co-equal or co-eternal. None suggest anything like the Trinity.

Some Trinitarians point to Matthew 28:19, because it is one of the few that doesn’t actually appear at first sight to contradict the Trinity, which isn’t saying much. But v18 does say that Jesus was "given" authority, which would imply delegation, not inherent authority. This was of course after His resurrection.

The Annunciation in Luke 1:35 is interesting. It says: "The Holy Spirit shall come upon you and the power of the Highest shall overshadow you; therefore (i.e. for that reason) also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God." First, it says that Jesus was not already the "eternal Son," rather he was to be called the Son of God because he was born of Mary through the power of the Holy Spirit. Second, by parallelism it defines what the Holy Spirit is: the power of the Highest. Or are the Holy Spirit and the Power of the Highest two different things, in which case it should be the Quadity. And the Father was not really the father of Jesus, the real father was the Holy Spirit, or maybe the Power of the Highest, if they are not the same thing?

Matthew 3:16-17 - the Baptism of Jesus, is also interesting. The 3rd part of the Trinity descends on the 2nd part of the Trinity, apparently giving him the power of God which he didn’t have before, and the 1st part of the Trinity says he is pleased with the 2nd part, who is supposedly not another but the same One, although I suppose that it is good that God was pleased with Himself, and said so. I have a hard time seeing any suggestion of equality there.

Text of the passages, quoted from the King James Version:

Matthew 3:16-17 “And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

Matthew 28:19 “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:”

Luke 1:35 “And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.”

John 15:26 “But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me.”

John 16:7-10: “Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;”

Acts 2:32-33 “This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.”

II Corinthians 13:14 “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.”

Gal 4:6 “And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.”

Ephesians 2:18 “For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.”

I John 5:7-8 (“forged”) “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.”

Jude 20-21: “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith; praying in the Holy Spirit; keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users