#1 Unbound68

Unbound68

Eta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationWest Bend, WI

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

Are any of them historicist? Or have preterism and futurism infected all of them from the 20th century to today?

#2 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:56 AM

There are some good historicist works out there.

Matthew Henry's commentary and Finamore's God, Order, and Chaos: ReneĢ Girard and the Apocalypse are both good.

I think Lloyd-Jones' The Church and the Last Things is also historicist.
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#3 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

Are any of them historicist? Or have preterism and futurism infected all of them from the 20th century to today?

Modern confessional commentaries tend to be futurist. Critical commentaries tend to be preterist. However, Logos does have a large number of classical commentaries, most of which are Historicist.

#4 Unbound68

Unbound68

Eta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationWest Bend, WI

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

Thanks to both of you!

Since I have both of you here, I have a question about using the search feature in logos6. How do I do a search such as the one you did Fort, where you searched your library to prove Bowman wrong about the "now dominant" interpretation of Phil 2 during the great Trinity debate?

I just upgraded to portfolio over the weekend, as well as purchasing the Anchor Yale Bible and a few other resources, which brings the tally of resources in my logos library to just over 6000 now. I just need to learn how to do complex searches to put all these resources to good use!

By the way, I'm really excited about having the Word Biblical commentary set and the AYB, but am disappointed that neither is historicist. Having studied the origins of futurism and preterism for years, however, I'm not surprised.

Edited by Unbound68, 04 November 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#5 TrevorL

TrevorL

Theta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

Greetings Unbound68,

Do you have a copy of "Eureka - An Exposition of the Apocalypse" by John Thomas. This was originally a 3-Volume set, but now usually published as a 5-Volume set? He is historicist. This is also available to run on Logos software, originally issued as Libronix. Not sure if it can be separately purchased from Logos.

Kind regards

Trevor

#6 Unbound68

Unbound68

Eta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationWest Bend, WI

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

Greetings Unbound68,

Do you have a copy of "Eureka - An Exposition of the Apocalypse" by John Thomas. This was originally a 3-Volume set, but now usually published as a 5-Volume set? He is historicist. This is also available to run on Logos software, originally issued as Libronix. Not sure if it can be separately purchased from Logos.

Kind regards
Trevor

Yes, I have Eureka, as well as the works Fort linked to.....but not for logos. I downloaded them all from Google books years ago. Logos doesn't offer Eureka.

Anyway, I was more interested to see if any modern scholars had the courage and/or fortitude to publish an historicist commentary on the Apocalypse. I have scores of them from the 16th to 19th centuries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users