• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

The impact of the late, great, Geza Vermes on Bibical scholarship is incalculable. Just his work on the Dead Sea Scrolls alone marked him as one of the great scholars of the 20th and early 21st centuries. His last book, The True Herod has just been published. From the publisher's website:

"The True Herod examines Herod's controversial legacy as a political leader, a potentate, a man of culture, and an all-round smooth operator. Vermes opens up the fascinating character of Herod, from his sizable and fragile ego to his devastation at the execution of his beloved wife, an execution that Herod ordered himself. Vermes then moves on to consider Herod's greatest legacy and testament: his extensive building works, which includes the Temple in Jerusalem. Vermes's lively prose, combined with extensive colour images, make this new picture of Herod an enticing and informative guide to one of Ancient History's most misunderstood figures."

More here

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

#2 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Will have to get this.

#3 Chris

Chris

• Moderators
  • 1,986 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:43 PM