Photo

The Modern English Version: Just the AV without the archaisms?

Modern English Version AV KJV Bible Translations Textus Receptus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

Yet another English language Bible translation has appeared; the Modern English Version. While those behind it are more than welcome to produce yet another version, given the plethora of good quality English translations such as the NASV, the NET, and the NRSV, one has to wonder what its selling point will be.

Apparently, it's Clear, Reverent, and Accurate. How do we know that?

The MEV is a translation of the Textus Receptus and the Jacob ben Hayyim edition of the Masoretic Text, using the King James Version as the base manuscript.

The MEV is a literal word-for-word translation. It is also often referred to as a formal correspondence translation

It uses the King James Version as the base manuscript?

Its MT is a translation of the TR? As respected NT textual scholar Daniel Wallace notes:

the Greek text which stands behind the King James Bible is demonstrably inferior in certain places. The man who edited the text was a Roman Catholic priest and humanist named Erasmus. He was under pressure to get it to the press as soon as possible since (a) no edition of the Greek New Testament had yet been published, and (b) he had heard that Cardinal Ximenes and his associates were just about to publish an edition of the Greek New Testament and he was in a race to beat them. Consequently, his edition has been called the most poorly edited volume in all of literature!

Sigh. I think I'll just stick with my NASB and NRSV, thanks.

Edited by Ken Gilmore, 30 May 2014 - 03:53 AM.

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

#2 luke

luke

Mu

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:57 AM

James McGrath's nicknamed it the Meh Version.

http://betterbibles....ccurate-or-meh/

#3 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

James McGrath's nicknamed it the Meh Version.
http://betterbibles....ccurate-or-meh/

Sounds most appropriate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users