Photo

Has David's citadel really been discovered?

Archaeology Jerusalem Davids Citadel

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Todd Bolen at BiblePlaces Blog weighs in on the recent claim that David's citadel has been discovered in Jerusalem by Eli Shukrun. In short:

"What does Shukrun’s partner Ronny Reich think? He is more hesitant to apply the biblical name, in part because of the lack of tenth-century pottery found in the excavations. But the walls didn’t disappear for a few centuries and then re-appear, so he suspects that the tenth-century pottery was removed by later inhabitants.

"Do you agree? Yes and no. First, I find it quite reasonable that the water system and defensive towers were in use when David arrived. It seems likely that the tsinnor that Joab entered the city through is part of this complex. Second, the water system should not be equated with David’s palace. It’s not clear to me that this is what the article is saying, but the lack of clarity creates confusion. Shukrun is not saying that he found David’s home; he is claiming that he discovered a portion of the city that David conquered. That’s not news and it’s only controversial for those who don’t believe the biblical account of David’s conquest is accurate."

Full article is here: http://blog.biblepla...covered-in.html

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

#2 Davvers

Davvers

Iota

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

We recently attended a presentation organised by our ecclesia by Dr Garth Gilmour of Oxford University and he likewise said it was premature to talk of this as David's palace but was likely to be the remnants of the citadel he conquered.

D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Archaeology, Jerusalem, Davids Citadel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users