2 replies to this topic

#1 Davvers

Davvers

Iota

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

Has anyone done any research on the 5 kings and the 4 kings of Genesis 14 whose war resulted in Lot's captivity and rescue by Abram? Namely:

Amraphel (Shinar)

Arioch (Ellasar)

Chedorlaomer (Elam)

Tidal (Goiim)

v

Bera (Sodom)

Birsha (Gomorrah)

Shinab (Admah)

Shemeber (Zeboiim)

King of Zoar.

In particular info on the regions, historical confirmation of the relevant powers etc.  I'm pursuing investigation into some suggestions that they are names picked up from Babylonian history and added to the account during the exile/restoration period, possibly to emphasise the relevance of the Abram/Lot events to those returning from Babylon - not sure about it all yet, but if someone has some pre-canned work on it I will be more than willing to borrow it!

D

#2 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Here you go.

Attached Files

#3 Davvers

Davvers

Iota

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

Thanks Fort

It was the AYBD entry on the Chedorlaomer texts which sent me off on the direction of names being inserted later, however on balance, the historical probability of Elam's strength at this time and that the names are typical of the regions they are supposed to belong to, leads me to conclude there is no reason to question their authenticity.

There obviously are all sorts of later glosses to the text in things like Ur (of the Chaldeans).

D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users