3 replies to this topic

#1 HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH

Beta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hoping that someone can help me out with this. :)

I had read an article somewhere many years ago where they explained how the three highlighted words in the verse below were an example of a figure of speech used in scripture. Apparently, this type of figure of speech will use three different words (also maybe more, maybe less, I don't remember) to describe one thing. I CANNOT seem to find this information again, although I've looked for several hours online today. Would anyone happen to know what this figure of speech is called and/or any other examples of it in scripture. (The article I had read also gave other examples.)

I Thess. 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Edited to add: I've also purused Bullinger's "Figures of Speech," but short of reading the whole thing, I still can't find it.

Edited by HalleluYAH, 21 January 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#2 TrevorL

TrevorL

Theta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

Greetings HalleluYAH,

Hoping that someone can help me out with this. :)

I had read an article somewhere many years ago where they explained how the three highlighted words in the verse below were an example of a figure of speech used in scripture. Apparently, this type of figure of speech will use three different words (also maybe more, maybe less, I don't remember) to describe one thing. I CANNOT seem to find this information again, although I've looked for several hours online today. Would anyone happen to know what this figure of speech is called and/or any other examples of it in scripture. (The article I had read also gave other examples.)

I Thess. 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Edited to add: I've also purused Bullinger's "Figures of Speech," but short of reading the whole thing, I still can't find it.

The only figure of speech mentioned in Bullinger concerning this verse is Homoeopropheron; or Alliteration on page 175, and this relates to “wholly” and “whole” not to “spirit and soul and body”.

One writer comments that no one argues on the basis of Luke 10:27 that man’s being consists of four or five elements: (body), heart, soul, strength, mind.
Luke 10:27 (KJV): And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

Kind regards
Trevor

Edited by TrevorL, 21 January 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#3 violin

violin

Zeta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

Is this the one? http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Hendiatris

#4 HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH

Beta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Thanks violin, that points me in the right direction at least.

One writer comments that no one argues on the basis of Luke 10:27 that man’s being consists of four or five elements: (body), heart, soul, strength, mind.
Luke 10:27 (KJV): And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

No, they don't. But they do with the one in I Thess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users