7 replies to this topic

#1 buckerss

buckerss

Theta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Im just cobbling together a bible class on the second in a series Im doing on the Feasts of the Lord. I dont think we pay enough attention to them! This is only a first throwing together of info from various different sources.....any comments would be appreciated.

Attached File  The Seven Feasts of The Lord firstfruits and pentecost v10.ppt   752.5KB   1120 downloads

#2 buckerss

buckerss

Theta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

thoughts anyone?

#3 Huldah

Huldah

• Moderators
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationPleasantville

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

I'm not knowledgable enough on the festivals to give you a criticism (except to say that your slides look very wordy - will they be easy to read? - like the pictures though), but I would saw Dawn Fallon knows lots about them - don't know if you can contact her maybe on the old BDF forum.
"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." John 4.14

#4 Russell

Russell

• Moderators
  • 883 posts
  • LocationCoffs Harbour Australia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

That is a talk dumped onto slides. A slide show, to be useful, needs to throw concepts and summaries into the minds and hearts of the target audience. The sort of detail in your slides should be for your notes, not for slides. If you are talking about the feasts you need a picture showing the circle of the year like a clock, marking the agricultural and spiritual year. Then zoom into some of the feasts as you have done. But all the time relating it to the circle of the year and where it fits. The overview should tell the audience the conclusion. e.g. Passover - Christ's sacrifice; Pentecost - the establishment of God's ecclesia; ... "the last trumpet" - the resurrection. It is NOT CHEATING to give a preview of your final conclusion. This is not a mystery novel. As the lay preacher from a previous generation explained when asked the secret of his success said; "First I tells them what I'm going to tell them. Then I tells them. Then I tells them what I told them."

First slide: Seven feasts; it is a good starting point to number them. But then you need an overview. All that stuff such as "God's plan of salvation did not come by chance" is NOT for slides, but for your own notes.

Second slide: Good idea to zoom in on two of them. But the audience will be in a blur, unless they already know what you are talking about. Far too much detail

Third slide: The Hebrew words. Firstly you need to decide if a "Hebrew lesson" adds understanding for the listener. Assuming you have carefully thought about that and decided, "yes the Hebrew words are critical to this subject", then you need just ONE Hebrew word on a slide, with its meaning and emphasize why that concept is important.

And so on.

#5 buckerss

buckerss

Theta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

hi, yes I know its very jumbled....at the moment Ive just plonked the content down before working on the presentation itself. :)

That is a talk dumped onto slides. A slide show, to be useful, needs to throw concepts and summaries into the minds and hearts of the target audience. The sort of detail in your slides should be for your notes, not for slides. If you are talking about the feasts you need a picture showing the circle of the year like a clock, marking the agricultural and spiritual year. Then zoom into some of the feasts as you have done. But all the time relating it to the circle of the year and where it fits. The overview should tell the audience the conclusion. e.g. Passover - Christ's sacrifice; Pentecost - the establishment of God's ecclesia; ... "the last trumpet" - the resurrection. It is NOT CHEATING to give a preview of your final conclusion. This is not a mystery novel. As the lay preacher from a previous generation explained when asked the secret of his success said; "First I tells them what I'm going to tell them. Then I tells them. Then I tells them what I told them."

First slide: Seven feasts; it is a good starting point to number them. But then you need an overview. All that stuff such as "God's plan of salvation did not come by chance" is NOT for slides, but for your own notes.

Second slide: Good idea to zoom in on two of them. But the audience will be in a blur, unless they already know what you are talking about. Far too much detail

Third slide: The Hebrew words. Firstly you need to decide if a "Hebrew lesson" adds understanding for the listener. Assuming you have carefully thought about that and decided, "yes the Hebrew words are critical to this subject", then you need just ONE Hebrew word on a slide, with its meaning and emphasize why that concept is important.

And so on.

#6 Russell

Russell

• Moderators
  • 883 posts
  • LocationCoffs Harbour Australia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Sorry if I was harsh. Now that you have a lot of detail in your notes, and more importantly, in your head, why not start with a blank sheet of paper, and construct a bare skeleton. Then flesh it out. But most of the fleshing out should not be on slides. In my opinion. But there are other opinions.

#7 buckerss

buckerss

Theta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:13 AM

Doing Feast of Trumpets tonight at bibleclass, heres the presentation in case anyone may have a use. Cobbled together from various books and internet sources. 

Attached Files

#8 buckerss

buckerss

Theta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

haha just seen that Israel was the land flowing with mild and honey........a bit like the black country I guess :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users