28 replies to this topic

#1 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

In this book a number of authors bring together their expertise in various fields, including science, philosophy and biblical studies, to lay out some of the reasons for believing in God, Jesus and the Bible. Covering topics ranging from the fine-tuning of physical constants to the historical evidence of the resurrection of Jesus, this book provides positive reinforcement for faith in the modern world.

(Source).

Edited by Thomas Gaston.

:book:
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#2 R2D2

R2D2

• Moderators
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

You read this book and liked it?

No chapter on reasons for believing in the trinity?

#3 Russell

Russell

• Moderators
  • 883 posts
  • LocationCoffs Harbour Australia

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

That actually looks like it is worth buying. Does anyone know which is the most cost-effective way of purchasing, to minimize postage costs?

#4 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

It's a Christadelphian book, so I wouldn't expect reasons for believing in the trinity. :D

#5 daysha

daysha

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Is it available as an e version?
Do all to the glory of God. Read His word prayerfully, think about it, meditate upon it and do.

#6 R2D2

R2D2

• Moderators
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

It's a Christadelphian book, so I wouldn't expect reasons for believing in the trinity. :D

Whew, I will put the book on my wish list then!

#7 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

No, I was one of the reviewers who scrutinised the material before it was published. Thomas Gaston is one of the sub-editors of the Christadelphian eJournal of Biblical Interpretation, as am I.

:)
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Credo.

#8 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

Is it available as an e version?

Not at this stage, no. Still waiting for a decision on that.

Credo.

#9 andrewneileen

andrewneileen

Beta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

Hello

The book was published on monday at 6.99 GBP (231 pages, PB) and no discussion has been had yet about an e-version. Should there be one, it would be downloadable from iTunes bookstore which is the favoured eBook store for LULU books like REASONS. The book has eleven authors. And the essays are:

Introduction: Faith in the Modern World

Reasons for Seeking
Philosophical Arguments
Fine-Tuning
The Origin of Life
Consciousness
Morality
The Problem of Evil

Reasons for Believing
Textual Criticism
The Old Testament and History
Bible Prophecy
Israel: God’s Chosen People
The Historical Jesus
The Resurrection of Jesus

Epilogue

The book was reviewed by 10 reviewers.

Andrew

#10 Russell

Russell

• Moderators
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

I just ordered one. It should only cost a little under $AUS20 including postage, when it is billed to my credit card. If it is as good as it promises, it could be a very useful substrate document to build talks/presentations.

#11 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

I just ordered one. It should only cost a little under $AUS20 including postage, when it is billed to my credit card. If it is as good as it promises, it could be a very useful substrate document to build talks/presentations.

It should be only the start of a new wave of Christadelphian material on these subjects. We should have been publishing this stuff years ago.

#12 Mercia2

Mercia2

Pi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

It should be only the start of a new wave of Christadelphian material on these subjects. We should have been publishing this stuff years ago.

How many authors you got? Why not invite them on here so we can test them?
"If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” = "Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?" = "Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty. Who maketh His angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire" Psalms (104:1) = "They saw what seemed to be flames of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them." Acts 2 - the secret is over, your ministering angel you need to be saved is the Holy Spirit.

Who Is the Holy Spirit?
http://www.btdf.org/forums/topic/20950-holy-spirit-mercia/

Mark Of The Beast - his Name is the charachter/image of the medievil popes (now modern man)
http://www.btdf.org/forums/topic/4997-mark-of-the-beast/page__pid__439951__st__120#entry439951

Historicists - Dual Fulfillment (seven thunders = more literal warning)
http://www.btdf.org/forums/topic/14248-historicists-revelation-has-a-dual-fulfillment/

#13 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:57 AM

How many authors you got? Why not invite them on here so we can test them?

The book has eleven authors.

Several of the authors are already on this site.

#14 Phil

Phil

Kappa

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

This looks fantastic. Ordered my copy earlier this evening, although i won't get to read it til late November :(

#15 Russell

Russell

• Moderators
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:51 AM

Mine arrived today! Too early to say what I think of it.

#16 Greb

Greb

Zeta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:52 AM

My copy arrived a couple of days ago. I have read it and thought it was excellent - and sorely needed.

#17 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:59 AM

My copy arrived a couple of days ago. I have read it and thought it was excellent - and sorely needed.

Glad to hear it. I suspect it's insufficiently edgy and transgressive for some, but I think it's a great start in the right direction for our community.

#18 Russell

Russell

• Moderators
  • 883 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:06 AM

Glad to hear it. I suspect it's insufficiently edgy and transgressive for some, but I think it's a great start in the right direction for our community.

I'm still only half way through. I don't think it is the last word by any means, not that we can ever expect the last word. It has been interesting so far. I have learnt some things. It is a mixed bag.
Does anyone know how many copies have sold?

#19 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

I'm still only half way through. I don't think it is the last word by any means, not that we can ever expect the last word. It has been interesting so far. I have learnt some things. It is a mixed bag.Does anyone know how many copies have sold?

I agree it's a mixed bag, and I'm hoping it whets a few appetites for more work of an even higher quality. Last I heard from Apey, it had sold over 50 copies.

#20 Mercia2

Mercia2

Pi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Last I heard from Apey, it had sold over 50 copies.

Is this a money making venture as well or are they just covering printing and distribution costs?
"If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” = "Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?" = "Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty. Who maketh His angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire" Psalms (104:1) = "They saw what seemed to be flames of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them." Acts 2 - the secret is over, your ministering angel you need to be saved is the Holy Spirit.

Who Is the Holy Spirit?
http://www.btdf.org/forums/topic/20950-holy-spirit-mercia/

Mark Of The Beast - his Name is the charachter/image of the medievil popes (now modern man)
http://www.btdf.org/forums/topic/4997-mark-of-the-beast/page__pid__439951__st__120#entry439951

Historicists - Dual Fulfillment (seven thunders = more literal warning)
http://www.btdf.org/forums/topic/14248-historicists-revelation-has-a-dual-fulfillment/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users