• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:04 AM

If you're after a paper summarising the recent changes in NT textual criticism, this paper by Hugh Houghton should be useful. If you can't afford the $33, then a free pre-pub version can be found here.

Needless to say, it's required reading, if only to remind those who routinely deprecate scholarship that the very act of reading the Bible would be impossible without the labour of those despised professionals. Common sense, as Einsten famously pointed out, is after all the collection of prejudices acquired before the age of 18.

HT: Evangelical Textual Criticism
ā€œI do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.ā€ - Galileo Galilei

#2 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

Very useful, thanks.

#3 Flappie

Flappie

• Moderators
  • 7,644 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Must read in more detail.

I gave a Bibleclass yesterday titled "How can we take the Bible seriously when there are so many versions", in which I talked a bit about textual criticism.

We looked at Acts 13:42 as an example of differences between the various manuscript, the Majority text is a bit lonely there, the NET doesn't even have a note. So wouldn't mind seeing if the ECM makes it even more obvious.

Spoke to someone afterwards who was very unimpressed with what I said. We shouldn't dabble in all these manuscripts and reinventing the wheel, just be happy with the original. The original apparently being the received text which is the Majority text. He didn't like Westcott and Hort's text since it weakens the Greek. Since there were other people I'd rather talk to about it, I didn't really engage him, there would be no point anyway.
"The first condition of immortality is death."
Broeders in Christus

#4 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

Oh my days...

:doh:
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#5 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

:gagged:

Please don't tell me this person was KJV-only.

Edited by Ken Gilmore, 06 July 2011 - 07:13 PM.

ā€œI do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.ā€ - Galileo Galilei

#6 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

The original apparently being the received text which is the Majority text. He didn't like Westcott and Hort's text since it weakens the Greek.

He would be horrified to know what our earlier brothers thought of the Wesctott and Hort recension, and the RV.

#7 Flappie

Flappie

• Moderators
  • 7,644 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

The original apparently being the received text which is the Majority text. He didn't like Westcott and Hort's text since it weakens the Greek.

He would be horrified to know what our earlier brothers thought of the Wesctott and Hort recension, and the RV.

Quite, yes. I contemplated showing him the list of quotes you compiled from the Mag, but refrained. The strange thing was that he was castigating me for not bothering to listen to my elders who had done extensive work on this and found the TR to be the most reliable. The brother in question passed away quite some time ago, and I don't think he wrote a book about the subject, so not entirely sure what I could listen to...

Ken, no, I don't think he's a KJV-only type of person, since he did mention it's in need of updating, but only likes translations that are based on the Majority text. I asked him whether he was happy with the NKJV, he didn't answer, but instead rattled off a list of translations he liked (Young's, Green's, for some odd reason the RSV, and a few others like it). However, he was disappointed that we young ones don't respect the KJV as much as we ought.

The main point of the class was that despite the multitude of variants and all the different version, the Bible as a whole can be trusted, and the truth can be found in most translations (although some are better suited to Bible study than others). Most people were quite appreciative, and got the point. I put the KJV-only people and the atheists in the same group, since both demand a word-perfect translation, or at least Hebrew/Greek text, whereas the truth is different, and nobody objected to that. So I'm happy :)

Apologies for hijacking

Edited by Flappie, 06 July 2011 - 08:27 PM.

Broeders in Christus

#8 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Mate, we could use something like that in the Armoury.

:newspaper:
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#9 luke

luke

Mu

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

I'd certainly appreciate reading it. Any chance you could email it me, please?

#10 Flappie

Flappie

• Moderators
  • 7,644 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'll see if I can put it in a more readable format and send it to you :)
Broeders in Christus

#11 Phil

Phil

Kappa

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

Or bung it up here as an attachment, flapster. I'd like a squiz too, if you wouldn't mind :)

#12 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Should be up here too, good LOTE material.

#13 luke

luke

Mu

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users