• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

Google will not give you a PhD or make you an expert. However, carefully chosen internet resources can make the difference between parroting a crank's pet theory and accessing peer-reviewed information from recognised experts. Philosophy can be abstruse and difficult - the following can help the interested reader with questions of a philosophical nature. Remember, Jerusalem and Athens do have a lot to do with each other.

* Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
* Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
* The London Philosophy Study Guide
* PhilPapers: Online Research in Philosophy

Edited by Ken Gilmore, 06 July 2011 - 09:47 PM.

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

#2 Kaminari

Kaminari

Eta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

I'm a big fan of the second :)

#3 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

I know a guy who contributed an entry to it.

:popcorn:
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#4 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

I know a guy who contributed an entry to it.

:popcorn:

Are you at liberty to let us know? (By the way, sorry for the gratuitous Tertullian allusion...)
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

#5 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

The Tugster.

:book:
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#6 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

I like both of them, but I've always preferred SEP. I corresponded with one of the authors of one of their articles, having the cheek to critique it. The author acknowledged that my critique was sound, but cited his editor's constraints as the reason why the article could not be substantially improved.

#7 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Added a link to the University of London's Philosophy Study Guide. If you're looking for some guidance in your reading on philosophy, you could do worse.

Also added a link to PhilPapers, which is "a comprehensive directory of online philosophical articles and books by academic philosophers. We monitor journals in many areas of philosophy, as well as archives and personal pages. We also accept articles directly from users, who can provide links or upload copies." It isn't a shabby amateur outfit - one of the editors is none other than David Chalmers.

Edited by Ken Gilmore, 06 July 2011 - 09:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users