#21 Kaminari

Kaminari

Eta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

In Wanganui we have a group called by that name, with all the characteristics described in this thread. In our case, this is because the group split from our ecclesia some years ago, before I was born.

Discussions about reunification are ongoing. They meet and worship based on the BASF, and their children come to our camps. But they disagree with us over some items of practice, by allowing unbaptised children to partake of the emblems, allowing women speakers, and using rock music at the Sunday meeting.

One of their members recently went to Latvia for some preaching. I believe he took his daughter. Not having looked at the site, I can't be positive it's the same CRC, but certainly sounds similar.

#22 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

In Wanganui we have a group called by that name, with all the characteristics described in this thread. In our case, this is because the group split from our ecclesia some years ago, before I was born.

Discussions about reunification are ongoing. They meet and worship based on the BASF, and their children come to our camps. But they disagree with us over some items of practice, by allowing unbaptised children to partake of the emblems, allowing women speakers, and using rock music at the Sunday meeting.

One of their members recently went to Latvia for some preaching. I believe he took his daughter. Not having looked at the site, I can't be positive it's the same CRC, but certainly sounds similar.

On their website, they have articles defending women speakers and the participation of children in the memorial meeting. Too similar to be coincidence, I'd reckon. Sounds like them.
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

#23 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

Ok so why doesn't their website say any of this? It gives a very different impression, that they're 'a group of people from different denominations who were dissatisfied with some of the teachings of the orthodox churches'. Why not say 'We're a group of disaffected Christadelphians who didn't like mainstream practice'?

#24 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

Jeremy Hughes has confirmed it's the ex-Wanganui group. Very disappointing.
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#25 Kaminari

Kaminari

Eta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Ok so why doesn't their website say any of this? It gives a very different impression, that they're 'a group of people from different denominations who were dissatisfied with some of the teachings of the orthodox churches'. Why not say 'We're a group of disaffected Christadelphians who didn't like mainstream practice'?

They aren't all ex-Christadelphians any-more, so their statement is accurate. In any case, they don't make a big deal about their roots.

Also, seems like the people in charge don't want to be associated with us just yet. And I can understand that. Some from my ecclesia have mixed feelings about being friendly with them, too. "They might steal our kiddies", you know. No doubt they feel the same way.

Jeremy Hughes has confirmed it's the ex-Wanganui group. Very disappointing.

Yep. Wanganui ecclesia would be more than twice the size it is now, had they not left. But a charismatic leader turned up who wanted to do the right thing for the children, and I believe all the young families followed him.

Wanganui ecclesia has bred it's own generation of kids since then, and most of us are moving away to find work. One has to wonder how the CRC will get on when their kids do the same.

Edited by Kaminari, 31 May 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#26 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

They aren't all ex-Christadelphians any-more, so their statement is accurate.

Their statement says this.

It was established in 1978 by a group of people from different denominations who were dissatisfied with some of the teachings of the orthodox churches.

That isn't accurate. It was established by a group of people from our community, who didn't like some of the practices of our community.

In any case, they don't make a big deal about their roots.

Concealing their true origin is one matter, deliberately misrepresenting it is another.

Also, seems like the people in charge don't want to be associated with us just yet. And I can understand that. Some from my ecclesia have mixed feelings about being friendly with them, too. "They might steal our kiddies", you know. No doubt they feel the same way.

Yes that's not surprising; with such groups there are usually 'people in charge', and they usually discourage fellowship with us.

#27 Kaminari

Kaminari

Eta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:44 AM

It was established in 1978 by a group of people from different denominations who were dissatisfied with some of the teachings of the orthodox churches.

That isn't accurate. It was established by a group of people from our community, who didn't like some of the practices of our community.

Concealing their true origin is one matter, deliberately misrepresenting it is another.

Woops, my fault for misreading. But they might very well have had founding members from other churches, I don't know. And you're right, it's not giving the reasons they were established, but it is describing the people who established it, isn't it?

It's worth noting that this website (judging by the spelling mistakes, and the "I have almost finished our new look website" on the news page) is probably run by an individual. It may not be fair to pin this possibly unfortunate statement on the whole group. It might be fair to judge them for linking to AiG, though! :D

Yes that's not surprising; with such groups there are usually 'people in charge', and they usually discourage fellowship with us.

Well, we discourage fellowship with them too! It took months to set up a joint praise evening, because a tiny minority in our ecclesia kept getting implacably and (in my view) unreasonably upset. Politics are rarely simple. :( What you say is true, though.

Edited by Kaminari, 01 June 2011 - 03:49 AM.

#28 Ken Gilmore

Ken Gilmore

• Moderators
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:06 AM

It [b]might[/b] be fair is entirely reasonable to judge them for linking to AiG, though! :D

FIFY ;)
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users