Photo

Teaching the Bible to Children - Where to Start?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:46 PM

Yes that is a good point. Kids do start life pretty self centred and not particularly considerate of others.

Im not so sure about that as a general rule?

It sure is. Until they develop properly they have brains the size of peanuts, and their capacity to reason is virtually non-existent. They're driven almost exclusively by selfish motives, and have virtually no ability for empathy.

#22 Radey

Radey

Eta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationNSW

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

I think it doesn't matter what you say, kids copy what you do. Therefore it's important to be the best person you are able to be. Maybe I say this defensively, because I find I am not a very directive parent, who doesn't say much.

Also, it's quite complicated as there are many people who grow up in dysfunctional families who reject the dysfunction, and there are many people who grow up in 'functional' families who become dysfunctional.

That's why I think it's about teaching them how to choose the good, and reject the evil. And making them want to do that. This approach means you tailor each child's life education according to their personality and needs.

The fact that when your children are older they will hopefully know how to reject evil and choose good means that God is just in rendering to every man according to his works. In the end, we are all responsible for our life choices. Even a child is known by his doings, and some children are going to float through life and others will constantly kick against the pricks.

At the end of the day, while we direct, we can only hope they make the choices we want them to.

That's why, I conclude, it's better just to have fun being their parent and spending time with them, than trying too hard to make them some preconceived notion of what you view to be the ideal adult.

#23 poorchristian

poorchristian

Beta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Teaching the Holy Bible to children should begin as early as possible. I do not believe it should be left to organized religious classes alone...that doesn't work. Teachings about God should be a life experience a part of a familys culture. One of the most telling truths concerning this can be seen in Islamic and Jewish cultures. Children are raised and taught in the home by mom and dad about God. The rules and limits they are given as rearing is based primarily on the families spiritual culture. The do as the parents do...when the parents do it and their education about God is explained as they learn to obey...their obedience builds the foundation for how they will live and believe. This must come first...then formal education will have a real meaning to them and spiritual concepts will add substance to their lives as they learn them and incorporate them into their daily lives. Formal education is good...but a life experience of disciplined living faith is best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users