Dan

Theta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTamworth, UK

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

Hi everyone. :)

Nice to be posting on a fresh new board and hope it's as helpful as BTDF has been in the past!

I've recently come across the notion that Philippians was not written from Rome, but instead was written from an assumed imprisonment of Paul's in Ephesus, during his third journey. The idea goes, that the visits between Paul and Philippi implied by the content of the letter could not have occured during the time he spent at Rome, due to the distance involved. Additionally, it is pointed out that Timothy is not recorded as being with Paul in Rome, but is with him when he writes to Philippi.

Regardless of this, I'm quite suspicious of ideas that are based on something that has been assumed, however it has raised some interesting possibilities in tracing Paul's journeys.

What I'm trying to work out is;

• Whether there are any conclusive points either way, and
  • Whether it really affects the content of the letter anyway.

My instinct is that the central lessons of the letter won't change much. But it may have some implications, for example, on how we understand the 3rd journey's events relating to problems at Corinth, (in the many references to Macedonina in 2 Corinthians).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

#2 Dan

Dan

Theta

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTamworth, UK

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:51 AM

Remembered I had posted this and I think it got a bit lost at the time the forum changed.

Anyone got any thoughts on the questions above?

For what it's worth, I'm coming to the conclusion that the Ephesus hypothesis is highly unlikely, and it's almost certain that Paul wrote Philippians from Rome during his first imprisonment there, (i.e. Acts 28).

Reason being that the best evidence for it being Ephesus, i.e. Timothy's presence with Paul, doesn't actually work. The plans Paul has for Timothy in Acts 19:22 & 1 Corinthians 16:10 (same time), do not match that in Philippians 2:19 as Paul is here expecting Timothy to return to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users