#1 Kremlin

Kremlin

Kappa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:35 AM

God is One

God revealed himself to the People of Israel as One.

Hear O Israel: Yahweh our God is One Yahweh.

God has never changed since then.

I am Yahweh, I change not, therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed

Throughout the Old Testament he consistently refers to himself as being the only God there is.

Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that Yahweh he is God; there is none else beside him.

That all the people of the earth may know that Yahweh is God, and that there is none else.

I am Yahweh, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Here Isaiah points out that there is no God beside Yahweh – he is the only one there is. He goes on further to say:

Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me

Here God says there is ‘none like me’. God is the only one that has power to ‘declare the end from the beginning’, the only one that shall ‘do all my pleasure’.

Things don’t change once we get to the New Testament. Here we see the writings of Paul:

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Here the Apostle clearly differentiates between God, and Jesus Christ – There is only one God, the Father. There is only one Lord Jesus Christ. These two are quite separate.

Again, in his letter to Timothy he writes:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

Again he differentiates between the two – Christ is not only a mediator between God and mankind, but he is also a man! After his resurrection and subsequent glorification as well… Even after being elevated to the position of mediator he is still a man.

#2 Kremlin

Kremlin

Kappa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:48 AM

The Father – Greater than Christ

Not only is God continuously referred to as being the one Supreme Being, but also Christ acknowledges him as his superior.

Christ is the Son of God, and like any Son, he is in subjection to his Father.

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

The Father is in a position to give the Son ‘all things’. It is evident, that the Father is superior to the Son. More evidence for the Father’s superiority –

And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the Sabbath day.
But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

This passage is great because it reveals a lot to us. I’ve highlighted some main points in red. Notice that Christ says that he does his work because of what his Father does. The Jews immediately understood Jesus as equating ‘my Father’ with God – they sought to kill him because he had said God was his Father. Its clear to us that the Jews always understood God Almighty to be the Father. They assume that by claiming sonship he is also claiming equality, but Christ corrects them by saying that The Son cannot do anything of himself – he follows his father’s lead. Christ is clearly saying he is subordinate to His Father.
Furthermore, we see the Father in a position to show the Son ‘all things’. He is also the one that ‘hath committed all judgment’ unto the Son, and was the one ‘which hath sent him’. Clearly Christ was commissioned and empowered by the Father – and also quite clearly in subjection.

Another great example is John 14:28

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

John continues in this vein, and quite often speaks of the Father as ‘sending’ Christ. Lets see what other authors have to say:

Luke, in Acts 2:22 says

Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

This one is an interesting one – It shows Christ’s subordination as he was approved by God (as a lesser person being approved by a greater entity), but it also highlights the biblical principle of agency – Just as earlier we saw that Christ was the “Arm of Yahweh”, here too we see that the miracles, wonders and signs were done by God – by Christ! Christ, acting on God’s behalf, did the miracles, and thus he represents God to these people.
Luke goes on…

How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

This verse presents a quandary to the Trinitarian dogma – one part of their God anoints another part of their God with the third part of their God. This idea, of course, is silly. Christ is subject to God, and as such is anointed by him to ‘do good’ – and God was with him. This makes no sense if Jesus was God, but perfect sense if Jesus is rather the Son of God.

Not only was Christ subject to God during his ministry on earth, but also is subject to him and will be in subjection to him in the future.

Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

This verse presents a lot of interesting information – There comes a time when Christ’s rule in this world finishes – he delivers up the kingdom to God, his Father. But we are also given insight into the relationship between the Father and the Son. God has put all things under his feet, but Paul states quite obviously that although all things are under his feet, God himself is excepted – God is not under Christ. Paul then goes on to confirm what the other Apostles have said – The Son also himself will be subject unto God.

Its clear from these passages that Jesus was subject to God, is currently subject to God, and will be subject to God in the future.

#3 Kremlin

Kremlin

Kappa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:58 AM

Divine Nature vs. Human Nature

Those that claim Jesus to be divine claim that, while he was human, he was also God – somehow a logical impossibility, that he could be 100% Human while at the same time 100% Divine. Not only is this logically impossible, but the Bible rejects the idea.

Numbers 23:19 reads

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? Or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

The context, of course, is that of human nature and the way men lie. However it reveals to us that God is not a man. Divine Nature is very different from Human Nature – in fact it is impossible to possess both at the same time. You cannot be both Man, and God, at the same time. Furthermore, we see many examples during Christ’s ministry that demonstrate he did not have divine nature during his ministry.

• Hebrews 2:15 reveals that Christ was tempted, yet James 1:13 tells us that God cannot be tempted with evil.

• Christ’s Nature also meant that he died (Revelation 1:18) yet we are told clearly that God does not die (1Timothy 6:16).

• Christ’s Nature meant he had a will that was in opposition to his Fathers divine will!! This is seen in his trial in the Garden (Luke 22:24).

• We see also that Jesus, because of his mortal, human nature grew weary and thirsty (John 4:6), yet God, who is immortal and has divine nature ‘faints not, neither is weary’ (Isaiah 40:28).

So we see the nature Christ bore was not divine – it was human nature that we all possess!

In fact, this is confirmed repeatedly all throughout the bible. In the Old Testament, Moses, in Deuteronomy 18:15 had this to say:

The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken

This is echoed by the Apostles in the New Testament, most notably by Paul in Hebrews –

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

This reveals volumes to us about Christ’s nature – he took part of our flesh and blood, to make reconciliation for our sins unto God. As stated before – the atoning work of Christ was dependent on him being human, of the seed of Abraham, and not dependent on him being God.
Paul is at pains to tell us that Christ’s nature was not divine, like the angels – he was of the seed of Abraham, as confirmed by Galatians 3:16. Furthermore, we are told that he was made like unto his brethren – this is something else the bible also reveals to us about Christ. Christ is not co-eternal with the Father – he was made of a woman (Galatians 4:4).

So we see Christ portrayed as a man. Not just a mere man however, but a highly exalted one – the Son of God. Christ as our lord, example, mediator and king came and died for mankind that there might be a path for reconciliation with God. To do this, as the Scriptures reveal, he had to have been a man. As our mediator, he is still a man, ministering on our behalf before God. Scripture says nothing about him being God, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users