10 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Mu

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 03:06 PM

Acts 2:1-4 "And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

What is God's Spirit?

God's spirit is His power. He used His spirit to create life (Psalm 104:30), and it is His spirit that maintains life (Job 34:14-15).

What is the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Spirit is a portion of God's power that is set apart (the meaning of "holy") and has been granted to certain people at certain times. Peter tells us that this was how the Old Testament was written...

2 Peter 2:21 - "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost [Spirit]."

The Old Testament tells of Moses and many others possessing this Holy Spirit (see Exodus 35:30-31; Numbers 11; Deuteronomy 34:9).

We are also told that this would end for a while (Micah 3:6). This period lasted until the time of John the Baptist and Jesus Christ. The apostle received the power of tongues (Acts 2:1-4) to be able to preach to those of other nationalities.

The Purpose of the Holy Spirit Gifts

Jesus was given this power without measure (John 3:34) to display he was from God and to enable him to proclaim the kingdom of God. This is the same reason the disciples were given the Holy Spirit during Jesus' ministry (Luke 9:1-2) and also after (Acts 5:14-16).

The purpose of the gifts is listed in several passages in the New Testament, for example in Ephesians 4:11-16.

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."

The Holy Spirit gifts were given to ensure a solid foundation for the early church until there was a unity of mind and doctrine developed.

The Holy Spirit Gifts to Cease

The Spirit gifts were only to last a short time.

Acts 2:38-39 - "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

There are three groups of people mentioned here:
  • The Jews of Peter's time
  • Their children
  • Those afar off (the Gentiles)
They are limited to those who are called by the Lord (ie. true Christians)

1 Corinthians 13:8-10 - "Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away."

This passage tells us that when "that which is perfect [mature or complete] is come" then the gifts will cease.

What is that? It is the Bible.

Does the Bible do all the things that the Spirit gifts did? Since the purpose of the gifts was instruction in the "things concerning the kingdom of God and the Name of Jesus Christ" (Acts 28:30-31), the Bible does accomplish this.

2 Timothy 3:15-17 - "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

Does the Believer receive the Holy Spirit Today?

No. The Bible, which is God breathed, written by the power of the Holy Spirit through men is sufficient for us today. It does everything we need, doctrine, proving the truth of Jesus, correcting our errors in life and doctrine, and for instructing us and our children in the way of righteousness. For what purpose? For the same purpose as the Spirit gifts... "that the man of God may be perfect [mature/complete], throughly furnished unto all good works".

Edited by Cdelph, 22 February 2006 - 02:16 PM.

#2 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 10 January 2003 - 03:20 PM

An excellent introduction to the topic. :)
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#3 Phebe_*

Phebe_*

Theta

• Non-Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 08:49 AM

Hi there! I was forced to do a study on the Holy Spirit due to a Pentecostal who, at my workplace, was trying desperately to convert me .. she didn’t get very far. ;) Forgive me for covering any ground which Cdelph already has.

Spirit of God – Outflowing from God is Spirit power. By His Spirit all things exist (Gen 1,2,3). By His Spirit all things are sustained (Job 34:14-15; Psa. 104:30). By His Spirit all things are in His presence (Psa. 139:7,12).

Holy Spirit – Spirit set apart to fulfil His spiritual purpose in creation. This purpose was to bring life: the life of God in men, first morally, then physically. His Spirit operating to his end is called Holy Spirit. All divine activity advancing this purpose is by Holy Spirit.

The angels and Holy Spirit – the use and control of the Holy Spirit is in the hands of the angels (Psa. 104:4 & 103:20-21). They have a great work of bringing many sons unto glory (Heb. 1:14). They use the Holy Spirit in the providential control of the lives of the saints; and of the world rulers, and the nations.

The Holy Spirit Gift – A gift is “that which is given; something transferred to another’s possession, without price or any equivalent value being received in exchange.” So with the Holy Spirit Gift, the sense is of direct transfer of something from God to man; a distinct entity given and received as a possession. This is the idea inherent in the word “gift”. God has given, gifted, His Holy Spirit power at certain times to selected men, a gift which God’s purpose with men required at the time.

Three Epochs – In the full span of God’s unfolding purpose we can discern 3 epochs of the Holy Spirit given to men.

1. At the beginning of His work with His holy nation at its founding under Moses.
2. In the ministration of the New Covenant by the apostles after Christ’s resurrection.
3. In the future (Christ’s return) when the holy nation is regenerated and restored and enters the New Covenant.

These are epochs when the needs of the time required are more direct control by God of faithful men who he had appointed.

The Spirit of God in the believer

1. Born of God John 1:12-13 .. “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

2. The Father begat us by the word of truth James 1:18-21 .. “Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures."

3. Quickened by the Spirit – the word John 6:63 .. “It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”

4. God’s seed remaineth in him 1 John 3:9 .. “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and cannot sin, because he is born of God.”

5. Born of incorruptible seed 1 Pet. 1:23-25 .. “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”

By the Power of the Word

Not only does the spirit-word beget us, but it is the means of continuing growth; for Peter follows on – “Wherefore laying aside all malice and all guile .. as newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word that ye may grow thereby.” So it is not a true idea that the Holy Spirit Gift takes over at baptism and guides the individual in righteousness; no, its devotion to the word of God and its power is the source of growth. :)

#4 splitpea_*

splitpea_*

Eta

• Non-Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:28 PM

Hi Cdelph, I've a couple questions on your essay. (does that count as debate? :unsure: I don't mean it to be!)

In reference to Acts 2:38, 39, you said that 3 groups were mentioned, the third being the Gentiles. I wonder why you would say that "those that are afar off" constitutes the Gentiles? Also, doesn't "even as many as the Lord our God shall call" make a fourth group - all those who are called without a time restriction?

Also, I wonder if you have any more references to show that the "that which is perfect" of 1 Cor. 13:8-10 is the Bible? I've always been told that that's talking about when Christ returns.

Thanks! :)

#5 Evangelion

Evangelion

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,344 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:34 PM

Great questions! :)
'Abba Antony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"'

Ward, Benedicta. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (2006), Antony 25, p. 5.

Credo.

#6 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 02:03 PM

In reference to Acts 2:38, 39, you said that 3 groups were mentioned, the third being the Gentiles.  I wonder why you would say that "those that are afar off" constitutes the Gentiles?

I don't think they're the Gentiles. :)

See here for my post on the subject.

#7 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Mu

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 10:41 PM

Excellent posting... I will have to give that a more careful look.

Thanks

#8 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

• Admin
  • 34,729 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:51 PM

Thanks. :)

#9 Milkman_*

Milkman_*

Zeta

• Non-Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 07:35 PM

<P>No. The Bible, which is God breathed, written by the power of the Holy Spirit through men is sufficient for us today. It does everything we need, doctrine, proving the truth of Jesus, correcting our errors in life and doctrine, and for instructing us and our children in the way of righteousness. For what purpose? For the same purpose as the Spirit gifts... "that the man of God may be perfect [mature/complete], throughly furnished unto all good works".

</FONT>

I'm interested in the comment you make about us not having the Holy Spirit. I was always under the impression that if we are ever in need (i.e. discussing God/preaching), God was guide what we say through the Holy Spirit, like it says in Luke 21:

Luke 21
14 But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. 15 For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.

I thought that the words and wisdom that God would give us would be given through the Holy Spirt...is this not so? Then, we would have use of the Holy Spirit at some points.

#10 Phebe_*

Phebe_*

Theta

• Non-Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:38 PM

I thought that the words and wisdom that God would give us would be given through the Holy Spirt...is this not so? Then, we would have use of the Holy Spirit at some points.

Nope. Please refer to the following ^_^

The Holy Spirit Gift – A gift is “that which is given; something transferred to another’s possession, without price or any equivalent value being received in exchange.” So with the Holy Spirit Gift, the sense is of direct transfer of something from God to man; a distinct entity given and received as a possession. This is the idea inherent in the word “gift”. God has given, gifted, His Holy Spirit power at certain times to selected men, a gift which God’s purpose with men required at the time.

Three Epochs – In the full span of God’s unfolding purpose we can discern 3 epochs of the Holy Spirit given to men.

1. At the beginning of His work with His holy nation at its founding under Moses.
2. In the ministration of the New Covenant by the apostles after Christ’s resurrection.
3. In the future (Christ’s return) when the holy nation is regenerated and restored and enters the New Covenant.

These are epochs when the needs of the time required are more direct control by God of faithful men who he had appointed.

By the Power of the Word

Not only does the spirit-word beget us, but it is the means of continuing growth; for Peter follows on – “Wherefore laying aside all malice and all guile .. as newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word that ye may grow thereby.” So it is not a true idea that the Holy Spirit Gift takes over at baptism and guides the individual in righteousness; no, its devotion to the word of God and its power is the source of growth.

#11 Guest_Mishael_*

Guest_Mishael_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:57 PM

Hi Milkman

I'm interested in the comment you make about us not having the Holy Spirit. I was always under the impression that if we are ever in need (i.e. discussing God/preaching), God was guide what we say through the Holy Spirit, like it says in Luke 21:

I think we have to look at the context of Luke 21 which you quote and to whom these words were addressed.

The wisdom of God for us now is contained in His Word, the Bible, and if we read His Word and lay these things upon our hearts then we will know how to answer every man.

Others may care to elaborate upon your question, however, in the interim, a good general reference resource in regard to the Holy Spirit can be obtained here or a good booklet on the subject and the general understanding of the Holy Spirit by Christadelphians can be obtained here

Mishael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users