tarkus's Content

There have been 7 items by tarkus (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#418664 Using the Septuagint for New Testament study

Posted by tarkus on 08 October 2010 - 05:22 AM in Theology

This may be a stupid question, but do brethren routinely make use of the LXX for finding Bible echoes between the OT and NT? i.e. comparing the Greek of the LXX with the Greek of the NT.

I don't know, do they? They claim to be able to do it by using the KJV, which is comparing a translation from Hebrew into four hundred year old English with a translation of Greek into four hundred year old English. It seems to me that the LXX and the GNT are not likely to be any worse.

Obviously if the LXX was good enough for the NT writers to quote from, it can't be dismissed as "just a translation into Greek". Or can it?

No it can't. It was the Bible of the NT era.

I'm not a huge fan of making connections between passages based simply on the same word occurring in both, even when it's the same language.

Nor am I. I'm sure Richie would agree. Still, one wants to avoid basic errors like identifying an OT quotation in the NT, making a subtle point based on an English-ified interpretation of the OT Hebrew, despite the NT quoting an LXX version which doesn't support it.

#418658 Using the Septuagint for New Testament study

Posted by tarkus on 07 October 2010 - 11:10 PM in Theology

I'm even more convinced lately that the LXX is useless for Bible study.

I dunno: a bible translated centuries ago, into a language you don't speak, very useful for picking up bible echoes, sounds just like the KJV to me.

#417501 The Resurrection of the saints in Matthew 27

Posted by tarkus on 16 September 2010 - 06:22 AM in Theology

If we take Matthew's times literally, the bodies were uncovered when Christ died, and rose up and went into the city after his resurrection.

So we have dead bodies visible for anything up to 72 hours and then zombies visible in Jerusalem for some unspecified time after that. I think we are supposed to conclude that these were the recently dead who had been among the disciples of Jesus. No immortality for them, just a Lazarus-like extension of life.

The biggest question mark for me is why the raised Christ should be in less public evidence than the mere sideshow of temporarily reanimated saints.

#430449 journal sought

Posted by tarkus on 03 March 2011 - 07:10 AM in Theology

* Direct and Third Person Discourse in the Narrative of the “Fall”, Hugh C. White

* The Structure of Narrative Rhetoric in Genesis 2–3, Thomas E. Boomershine

I think these two probably fall into the area I'm interested in. But if that exceeds Logos' boundaries, don't do anything naughty.

Cheers

#430442 journal sought

Posted by tarkus on 02 March 2011 - 11:07 PM in Theology

Is there anything else you need? Those were the only two articles by Patte in that volume. Unfortunately I can't copy/paste the entire volume (Logos restricts it).

I'm not sure what else is in that issue - is there a TOC?
My interest is in narrative technique, if that helps.

#430437 journal sought

Posted by tarkus on 02 March 2011 - 11:13 AM in Theology

Patte rendered his tables as images, which unfortunately do not copy over. I could take screenshots of them if necessary, but the text may be sufficiently useful to you without them.

Thank you very much. Not quite what I was expecting :-| but enough to be going on with. Don't worry about the tables.

Cheers

#430433 journal sought

Posted by tarkus on 02 March 2011 - 09:38 AM in Theology

I am trying to access the bulletin Semeia 18 which is Daniel Patte's collection of material on Genesis 2/3. I can't access it through JSTOR or any of the other university library databases, but apparently the Semeia series is incorporated in several editions of Logos's scholar's library, thus: http://www.logos.com...lical-criticism

Does anyone have this who could see fit to emailing me an ecopy?

Thanks
T