HalleluYAH's Content

There have been 2 items by HalleluYAH (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#447438 Which figure of speech?

Posted by HalleluYAH on 22 January 2014 - 12:51 PM in Theology

Thanks violin, that points me in the right direction at least.

One writer comments that no one argues on the basis of Luke 10:27 that man’s being consists of four or five elements: (body), heart, soul, strength, mind.
Luke 10:27 (KJV): And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

No, they don't. But they do with the one in I Thess.

#447435 Which figure of speech?

Posted by HalleluYAH on 21 January 2014 - 07:31 PM in Theology

Hoping that someone can help me out with this. :)

I had read an article somewhere many years ago where they explained how the three highlighted words in the verse below were an example of a figure of speech used in scripture. Apparently, this type of figure of speech will use three different words (also maybe more, maybe less, I don't remember) to describe one thing. I CANNOT seem to find this information again, although I've looked for several hours online today. Would anyone happen to know what this figure of speech is called and/or any other examples of it in scripture. (The article I had read also gave other examples.)

I Thess. 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Edited to add: I've also purused Bullinger's "Figures of Speech," but short of reading the whole thing, I still can't find it.