Sammo's Content

There have been 4 items by Sammo (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#446491 Reconciling call of disciples

Posted by Sammo on 01 September 2013 - 02:21 AM in Archaeology, Biblical History & Textual Criticism

Thanks, yes I think I'll do that.

#446487 Reconciling call of disciples

Posted by Sammo on 01 September 2013 - 01:26 AM in Archaeology, Biblical History & Textual Criticism

I'm not sure we can, or should try to, reconcile the order of events in the gospels. The gospel writers didn't put everything in chronological order, but seem to have a more thematic approach (some more than others).

Thanks Flappie. That would explain the healing of Peter's mother in law appearing both before and after the calling of the disciples, but how do we explain that at first glance Matt/Mark and Luke appear to have two mutually exclusive versions of the same story (the calling of Peter/Andrew and James/John)? I'm trying to build up a story of the conversion of John, and it's hard to know which gospel to follow.

#446470 Reconciling call of disciples

Posted by Sammo on 31 August 2013 - 01:16 AM in Archaeology, Biblical History & Textual Criticism

(And why does Mark have the healing of Peter's mother in law after the calling, but Luke has it before? I'd question if these were even the same event if it didn't say in both Mark and Luke that they "forsook their nets"?)

#446469 Reconciling call of disciples

Posted by Sammo on 31 August 2013 - 01:00 AM in Archaeology, Biblical History & Textual Criticism

Hi all

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere; I did search but didn't find anything.

Am wondering if anyone has a quick way to reconcile the accounts of the call of the four disciples in Matt/Mark and Luke? Matthew and Mark both have Jesus calling Peter and Andrew first, then walking a little further and separately calling James and John, but Luke has all four of them involved at the same time with the big catch of fish. Any ideas?