Jason's Content

There have been 3 items by Jason (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#445328 Debate On Eschatology Crash Course

Posted by Jason on 23 March 2013 - 08:24 PM in Theology

I've copied a bit from the Lycaeum article. Thanks Mr Irons.

It encompasses the history of God's people from their captivity in Babylon, to the return of Christ. This is the most important point you have made in this article, but it simply does not go far enough. This IS the history of God's people to the return of Christ. You have not, however, offered any explanation of WHY these particular 4 nations have been selected. (We'll leave the 5th for the moment). As Deuteronomy and history both indicate, the Jews have been scattered into every nation on the planet. WHY then are these particular 4 nations the only ones selected for mention? I would be interested to hear your view of the matter.

It contains no recapitulative elements. This is correct.

There is no suggestion of any form of 'multiple applications' or 'dual fulfillments' in the interpretation.This is also correct.

It is progressive. Do you mean progressing through history? Or what?

It is chronological.The understanding of this point is dependent on your reply to the first question, so I will leave it temporarily.

It is a continuity.This point also depends on your answer to the first, but I believe this to be only partly correct.

A correct understanding of the prophecy requires some knowledge of the historical events which it encompasses.This is true of every prophecy and its fulfilment

I will be away from the computer for a couple of days, so will not be able to respond as quickly as I otherwise would.

I know this thread is 9 years old.....but did this ever get resolved? I'm really interested in hearing the concluding arguments for who the toes are (and aren't). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

#444922 The Brass Serpent

Posted by Jason on 31 January 2013 - 08:24 PM in Theology

Num 21:9 - And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

John 3:14-15 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life

I've seen it suggested in other Bible forums that the brass serpent in the wilderness was a representation of sin, not a representation of salvation, primarily because a serpent is symbolic of sin. The serpent didn't 'save' anyone per se, it was the understanding and acceptance of the sins they had committed that saved/healed the Israelites, not merely looking on the serpent (a physical manifestation of their sin).

Thoughts?

#444248 Deut 24:16

Posted by Jason on 07 December 2012 - 09:17 AM in Theology

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been answered on the forum!

"Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin."

I'm wondering if citing Deut 24:16 is valid when discussing why God had the Israelites wipe out the wicked nations (men, women and children). When I try and explain things, I usually find myself suggesting God knew full well the children of the wicked nations would have grown up to be as wicked as their parents so it wasn't a case of punishing the innocent, it was an instance of punishing the wicked (before they grew up to become wicked).

Or, perhaps, is Deut 14:16 applicable only to the Israelites?

I struggle a bit with how to logically and rationally justify things.

Thanks!