Insight's Content

There have been 3 items by Insight (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#441567 What does it mean for Christ to be cursed?

Posted by Insight on 19 July 2012 - 12:23 AM in Theology

Would "understanding" this fact make it more difficult to keep the Law?

I believe this made it easier to keep the Law, because you understood it better and you would be less legalistic about it. Those who understood this, understood how they could remain in fellowship with God even if keeping the Law was impossible; we see this in particular in the writings of the prophets during the exile.

And did this in turn cause the pious Jew to make it something (their own) which could be kept?

I believe the modifications made by the pious Jews were not so much to make it something which could be kept, as much as to shape it so it looked more like what they wanted.

Yes I agree.

What I was pointing too in my first question is being "under" a legal code which you know cannot restore the breach, compared to us today, who are witnesses to a living Gospel with a real power to save and restore. The mystery revealed and a binding law taken out of the way.

We know...Abraham long for the day of Christ....Moses sought a prophet greater than himself...David looked for one greater to sit upon his throne..and so on

We are richly blessed to be given the Prophetical Visions of the past and future.

We have the whole Book.

Lets hope we don’t do as you say:

...as much as to shape it so it looked more like what they wanted.

#441564 What does it mean for Christ to be cursed?

Posted by Insight on 18 July 2012 - 09:15 PM in Theology

So in one respect it goes beyond being able to keep the Law, it was designed to teach not to save.

Yes, it would quickly become apparent to the average sinner that it was literally impossible to keep the Law, and that there had to be a deeper message; law cannot save. This is expounded well by Samuel, as well as in the Psalms and in various prophets.

Would "understanding" this fact make it more difficult to keep the Law? And did this in turn cause the pious Jew to make it something (their own) which could be kept?

#441561 What does it mean for Christ to be cursed?

Posted by Insight on 18 July 2012 - 07:46 PM in Theology

And I think the curse of the Law which Paul speaks of is the fact that it couldn't give life.

That's right. It could only give death because you couldn't keep the Law.

Hi Luke & Fortigurn

The Law was designed with deficiencies so too teach those under it the need for redemption and reconciliation via another means. For example, the continual offerings of sinners or the High Priest being unable to take his brethren into the Most Holy by the removal of the breastplate and holy garments. These and many more highlighted its inability to make the offerer perfect.

So in one respect it goes beyond being able to keep the Law, it was designed to teach not to save.

Insight