Greb's Content

There have been 3 items by Greb (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#446320 From Jesus to Joel Osteen

Posted by Greb on 16 August 2013 - 01:43 AM in Theology

Jesus: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37-40, ESV)

Joel Osteen: “Love God, love yourself, love others – in that order … I don’t think you can show compassion, be respectful and kind, if you can’t love yourself.” (in People Magazine, 17/12/07, Vol 68, No 25)

#445821 Three Days and Three Nights

Posted by Greb on 28 May 2013 - 10:21 PM in Theology

Greb,

re: " The Esther and 1 Samuel quotes refer to people going 3 days and 3 nights without water or food..."

I'm not sure of your position. Are you offering Esther and Samuel as examples of instances where a specific number of days as well as a specific number of nights was stated when they absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?

No, I wasn't offering Esther and Samuel as examples of this, just noting that these are the only examples provided by the commentators I quoted. Personally I can't see that the Esther and Samuel references prove anything either way.

I thought that Jesus died on Wednesday and was resurrected late on Saturday.

#445776 Three Days and Three Nights

Posted by Greb on 21 May 2013 - 11:48 PM in Theology

I also came across this explanation in a couple of commentaries recently (below). The Esther and 1 Samuel quotes refer to people going 3 days and 3 nights without water or food - but as far as I am aware, this is possible.

The period during which He was to lie in the grave is here expressed in round numbers, according to the Jewish way of speaking, which was to regard any part of a day, however small, included within a period of days, as a full day. (See 1Sa 30:12, 13; Es 4:16; 5:1; Mt 27:63, 64, &c.). (JFB)

“Three days and three nights” is from Jnh 1:17. In Jewish reckoning, a period of light and darkness makes a “day” (onah), and any part of a “day” is considered as the whole. Since Jesus arose on the third day (Mt 16:21; 27:63–64), which was the first day of the week (28:1), the language of three days and nights does not mean 72 hours (see Est 4:16; 5:1) but “part of Friday, all of Saturday, and part of Sunday.” (Apologetics Study Bible)