Chris's Content

There have been 14 items by Chris (Search limited from 25-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#447740 Rethinking hell

Posted by Chris on 18 June 2014 - 01:39 PM in Theology

I'll add Edward Fudge's video here as well.

Lecture by Edward Fudge from Lanier Theological Library on Vimeo.

#447733 The True Herod: Geza Vermes' final book

Posted by Chris on 13 June 2014 - 04:43 PM in Archaeology, Biblical History & Textual Criticism

I just grabbed it for my Kindle.

#447364 Should we use unleavened bread during the memorial service?

Posted by Chris on 04 January 2014 - 11:35 AM in Theology

An examination of the original Greek apparently concludes that those at Colossae were keeping the Sabbaths and Feasts as a "shadow of things to come".......Jesus had already come and gone, so to speak, but they were still celebrated as a "shadow of the good things to come" because the autumn feats and what they represented had yet to be fulfilled.

Can you expound on "an examination of the original Greek"? What is it you believe looking at the Greek tells us that context in our translations does not?

#447355 Should we use unleavened bread during the memorial service?

Posted by Chris on 02 January 2014 - 05:46 PM in Theology

Right. Christ was sacrificed once. His sacrifice continues to cleanse us as we "keep the feast" (purge sin from our lives) in him each and everyday; not just during the Passover week. This is what Paul is saying in 1 Corinthians 5.

Then there is his reminder to the Colossians:

Therefore do not let anyone judge you with respect to food or drink, or in the matter of a feast, new moon, or Sabbath days—these are only the shadow of the things to come, but the reality is Christ!

#447331 Holy ground

Posted by Chris on 01 January 2014 - 07:33 PM in Theology

If God's being is manifested, it's God not someone else.

It is God manifested through the angel.

Those don't show "God's being" manifested in someone else.

Of course they do.

See above.

You've provided no answer "above".

#447324 Holy ground

Posted by Chris on 01 January 2014 - 08:49 AM in Theology

Clearly? No.

Explain this then:

"And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God."

The angel was God's special emissary, speaking on His behalf as the manifestation of God's being. This is not without Biblical precedent.  (cf. Exodus 23:20-21; Judges 2:1-4).

How do you explain Exodus 3:2 in light of verses 4-6?

#447314 Holy ground

Posted by Chris on 01 January 2014 - 12:41 AM in Theology

Clearly? No.

#447312 Holy ground

Posted by Chris on 01 January 2014 - 12:21 AM in Theology

Exodus 3:2.

#447309 Should we use unleavened bread during the memorial service?

Posted by Chris on 31 December 2013 - 11:20 PM in Theology

From what I can gather ...."The construction of the Greek verb translated  "let us keep the feast" is called horatory subjunctive, which is "commonly used to exhort or command ones self and ones associates" The use of the subjunctive is used to "urge someone to unite with the speaker in a course of action upon which he has already decided"  Wallace, Greek Grammar Beyond The Basics p464. It is clearly not intended therefore metaphorically."

I'm sorry, but how is this "clearly not intended" to be metaphorical?

#447040 Ezekiel and Egypt's Desolation

Posted by Chris on 06 December 2013 - 04:17 PM in Theology

Here's a blast from the past.

The invasion of Egypt by Nebuchadnezzar is, of course, not where the difficulty lies:

Nebuchadnezzar went up the valley of the NIle as far as Elephantine, and on the way back completed the rave of Egypt, but the course of his subsequent operations is unknown.

Record of Nebuchadnezzar have been found in the Delta area, in the Isthmus of Suez, so that the fact of the invasion of Egypt is really beyond dispute.

W H Boulton, 'Egypt', page 141

The only problem with this prophecy is that we have no historical record to verify it. But that is the only issue with the prophecy. The time for this destruction is certainly available within the chronology of Babylonian and Egyptian history (from Nebuchadnezzar to Cambyses has been suggested as early as Gill in 1748, and is still favoured by modern sholars), but we have no external witness to the Biblical description.

This being the case, the only problem here is that we have no independent verification of the prophetic record. I'm happy with that. I am prepared to take it on faith. I can understand you're not happy with that. I can understand you don't want to take it on faith.

#446943 7 Ways to Do a Bad Word Study

Posted by Chris on 17 November 2013 - 05:15 PM in Theology

+1.

#446786 William Lane Craig's descent into Apollinarianism

Posted by Chris on 08 October 2013 - 09:48 AM in Theology

I wonder how 'Think of a person suffering from multiple personality disorder' will go down with the punters.

Probably not well.

#446261 William Lane Craig to visit Adelaide

Posted by Chris on 09 August 2013 - 03:48 PM in Apologetics

I'll post a brief writeup tomorrow.

Looking forward to it. :)

#446008 Varner on the Didache

Posted by Chris on 22 June 2013 - 09:49 AM in Archaeology, Biblical History & Textual Criticism

Nice! Thanks for sharing that.