Hyperion's Content

There have been 3 items by Hyperion (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#446825 7 Ways to Do a Bad Word Study

Posted by Hyperion on 11 October 2013 - 07:21 AM in Theology

OK. I have access to 4 or 5 reasonably scholarly commentaries on the psalms (the 3 big ones being Continental Commentaries - Psalms 60-150 (Hans-Joachim Kraus), Word Biblical Commentary - Psalms 51-100 (Marvin E. Tate), Expositor's Bible Commentary - Psalms (Willem A. VanGemeren)) and they are also more ore less equally divided, so I guess this is a case where it is genuinely difficult to know which way to go.

In which case I guess I'll just go with my preference :)

If anyone has anything else on the Psalms for 77:10, and has the time to pass it along, I'd appreciate it.

#446823 7 Ways to Do a Bad Word Study

Posted by Hyperion on 11 October 2013 - 06:48 AM in Theology

Hi all,

I've been following the discussion, and pondering the outlay on HALOT. Perhaps those who have it could help with an example. I'm currently preparing an exhort on Psa 77 and v10 is turning out to be a challenge. Translations are quite divided on what it means. For example:

Some make it a positive turning point in which the psalmist decides to look to history for strength:

NIV Then I thought, "To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High."
ESV Then I said, I will appeal to this, to the years of the right hand of the Most High.
BBE And I said, It is a weight on my spirit; but I will keep in mind the years of the right hand of the Most High.
NKJV And I said, "This is my anguish; But I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High."
KJV And I said , This [is] my infirmity : [but I will remember] the years of the right hand of the most High.

Others make it the absolute low point of the psalm, as the psalmist faces the dreadful realisation that God is not with him, and has not kept his promises.

NET Then I said, “I am sickened by the thought that the sovereign One might become inactive.
NASB Then I said, "It is my grief, That the right hand of the Most High has changed."
NRSV And I say, "It is my grief that the right hand of the Most High has changed."
RSV And I say, "It is my grief that the right hand of the Most High has changed."
YLT And I say: "My weakness is, The changes of the right hand of the Most High."
HCSB So I say, "I am grieved that the right hand of the Most High has changed"

NLT And I said, “This is my fate; the Most High has turned his hand against me.”
MSG "Just my luck," I said. "The High God goes out of business just the moment I need him."

I'm finding the various commentaries I have are also fairly equally divided in their opinions. For the purposes of my exhort, I prefer the latter translation, but cherry picking the translations that suit my point is hardly good exegesis!

I be interested to hear from those with access to better language tools than I currently have if they can cast any light on this.

The NET gives the following to defend its translation:

Heb “And I said, ‘This is my wounding, the changing of the right hand of the Most High.’” The form חַלּוֹתִי (khallotiy) appears to be a Qal infinitive construct (with a first person singular pronominal suffix) from the verbal root חָלַל (khalal, “to pierce; to wound”). The present translation assumes an emendation to חֲלוֹתִי (khalotiy), a Qal infinitive construct (with a first person singular pronominal suffix) from the verbal root חָלָה (khalah, “be sick, weak”). The form שְׁנוֹת (shÿnot) is understood as a Qal infinitive construct from שָׁנָה (shanah, “to change”) rather than a plural noun form, “years” (see v. 5). “Right hand” here symbolizes by metonymy God’s power and activity. The psalmist observes that his real problem is theological in nature. His experience suggests that the sovereign Lord has abandoned him and become inactive. However, this goes against the grain of his most cherished beliefs.

#446776 How scriptural is the typical Protestant Sunday service?

Posted by Hyperion on 07 October 2013 - 11:26 AM in Theology

The basic sequence goes back a long way. Here is an excerpt from Justin Martyr's First Apology (155-157AD):

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need.