Richard's Content

There have been 80 items by Richard (Search limited from 28-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#441806 The spirit and the new covenant

Posted by Richard on 27 July 2012 - 07:54 AM in Theology

Sorry to be picky, but 'they can change their heart' or 'God can change their heart'?

God does it, but he tells us how - through his word and through his chastening.

#441797 The spirit and the new covenant

Posted by Richard on 26 July 2012 - 12:05 PM in Theology

Oh sorry, thanks for the clarification :).

I think it's saying that the experiential knowledge of the mercy of God will be a motivating factor in new covenant.

#441795 The spirit and the new covenant

Posted by Richard on 26 July 2012 - 09:35 AM in Theology

The difference between the old and new covenants is not the Law, per se, it's the application. The old covenant was based on abiding by law but the new covenant is about living by faith. So Deuteronomy 6, under the old covenant, was just about rote law keeping. Under the new covenant the principles therein are eternal. Jesus used the spirit of the passage in Deuteronomy to overcome his temptations.

I am not sure what you mean "seems to say the new won't be like that." Like what?

#441793 The spirit and the new covenant

Posted by Richard on 26 July 2012 - 08:39 AM in Theology

My articulation's not so clear. I suppose the question at this point's become the 'How does God write on our hearts?' one, and the related, "How does the spirit (if it does) help the believers live righteously (bearing in mind that they can't 'do it alone' [to probably misuse a phrase from Radey])?"

If you look at Deuteronomy 6 it explains how the law is written on the heart - by diligently teaching it. Verse 6 says it must be in our heart and the subsequent verses show how this is done. The passage is linked with Proverbs 3 which puts Bible study in tandem with chastening.

The difference between the old and new covenants is how the law is received. Under the old covenant the tendency for the Israelite was to receive the law as instructions from a taskmaster to slaves. But in Romans 8 Paul says "you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but the spirit of adoption whereby we cry 'Abba, father'". In other words the spirit of God gets inside us by receiving the law of God as a child receives instructions and chastening from their parents - it's a completely different spirit. The spirit of God enters us when we experience his loving kindness as a father pitying his children. That loving kindness was expressed to us in graphic form with the giving of his son to die for us, and that's why Hebrews 9 tells us the blood of the new covenant is so much more efficacious than the blood of bulls and goats.

So it's about understanding God, as a father, instead of a hard man who reaps where he does not sew and gathers where he does not straw.

#441738 Interpreting parables

Posted by Richard on 25 July 2012 - 03:45 PM in Theology

Because he's giving us clues as to how to interpret his parables.

#441687 The spirit and the new covenant

Posted by Richard on 24 July 2012 - 08:58 PM in Theology

Richard, how does the blood of Christ getting to my conscience = God giving me a new heart? Sorry if it isn't obvious to you, but my reading of what you have said seems like I get myself a new heart by thinking about Jesus a lot or something.

I am just going by what the Bible says. The old and new covenants are ratified by blood, and the difference is shown in Hebrews 9, which is in the context of the new covenant (chapter 8). If you want to make something else up without Bible commentary then feel free but the answers are usually in Scripture and that's the passage I go to to explain what's going on.

"Thinking about Jesus a lot" isn't a good summary.

#441673 The spirit and the new covenant

Posted by Richard on 24 July 2012 - 08:59 AM in Theology

Under the old covenant they sacrificed bulls and goats. Under the new covenant God gave his son. See Hebrews 9:13-14. The blood of Christ gets to our conscience like the blood of bulls and goats never could.

#441549 Adam Weishaupt

Posted by Richard on 18 July 2012 - 07:45 AM in Apologetics

Yes I lived through the David Icke era, right from when he was presenting sports shows on TV through to his fall into complete nonsense. It was all extremely bizarre.

#441548 Christianized mistranslation of the Hebrew Scriptures

Posted by Richard on 18 July 2012 - 07:41 AM in Theology

#441526 Christianized mistranslation of the Hebrew Scriptures

Posted by Richard on 17 July 2012 - 02:01 PM in Theology

I am currently in discussions with an Orthodox Jew who keeps on complaining that modern English translations of the Hebrew Bible are Christianized, biased and just plain wrong. I don't know much about this subject so have simply stated that I trust in the scholars to have done their work using sound translation techniques but he has scoffed at this, using the argument that they are biased Christians, and insisted on his own Jewish translations.

I have no idea how to respond.

#441525 Adam Weishaupt

Posted by Richard on 17 July 2012 - 12:58 PM in Apologetics

It has been suggested to me that the return of the Jews and the establishment of Israel was a Christian plot in order to fulfill Bible prophecy. One name that came up is Adam Weishaupt, who as far as I can tell was a founder of the Illuminati. It all sounds very fishy to me but how would you respond?

#441480 Why No Denomination Will Survive the Homosexuality Crisis

Posted by Richard on 16 July 2012 - 08:57 AM in Theology

"Because sometimes the best way to preserve unity is to admit that we don’t have it."

I wonder if that's a good way to look at our situation in North America. (Sorry to go off topic)

#441336 Free Anthony Buzzard books via Kindle - 4 days only

Posted by Richard on 12 July 2012 - 09:07 AM in Theology

Will do :)

#441332 Free Anthony Buzzard books via Kindle - 4 days only

Posted by Richard on 12 July 2012 - 08:32 AM in Theology

Jem is my brother. They are coming to visit us in Canada next week. Laura is my wife's cousin.

#441329 Free Anthony Buzzard books via Kindle - 4 days only

Posted by Richard on 12 July 2012 - 07:47 AM in Theology

Awesome! I grew up in the same ecclesia as Andrew.

#441317 Armageddon

Posted by Richard on 11 July 2012 - 07:25 PM in Theology

Thinking of the verse of exhortation in the context of Armageddon - the language there - "he who watches and keeps his garments..." is language used in the letters to Sardis and Laodicea in Revelation 3, and takes us back to the golden calf incident in Exodus 32. The end of Matthew 24 is what I meant, not Matthew 25 - the language there too of Jesus returning as a thief. I am far more interested in what we need to do as Armageddon approaches than Armageddon itself.

Zephaniah 3 links in there too.

There are a number of Bible echoes from that verse and it's worth the effort to look them up.

#441311 Free Anthony Buzzard books via Kindle - 4 days only

Posted by Richard on 11 July 2012 - 01:56 PM in Theology

Hey Colliersan, you're from the Czech Republic? Have you met the Lidyards?

#441304 Armageddon

Posted by Richard on 11 July 2012 - 08:59 AM in Theology

Matthew 25, Revelation 3.

#441300 Armageddon

Posted by Richard on 11 July 2012 - 08:36 AM in Theology

Yes. Which is why I didn't defend the idea that Armageddon means "a heap of sheaves in a valley of judgment."

#441296 Armageddon

Posted by Richard on 11 July 2012 - 07:55 AM in Theology

Revelation 14 too! And Exodus 32.

What's wrong with heaps of sheaves?

Because it has nothing to do with what the word 'Armageddon' means.

But the idea is there in places like Revelation 14.

#441293 Armageddon

Posted by Richard on 11 July 2012 - 07:49 AM in Theology

What's wrong with heaps of sheaves?

Anyway, the best resources are the story of Gideon, Revelation 16, Ezekiel 38, Zechariah 14 etc.

#441133 What does it mean for Christ to be cursed?

Posted by Richard on 08 July 2012 - 08:48 PM in Theology

Thanks again. My reply was more along the lines of 'How did Christ save us by placing himself in a position in which the Law cursed him?'.

To demonstrate we are saved by faith not law.

#441086 Jepthah did not sacrifice his daughter.

Posted by Richard on 07 July 2012 - 08:48 PM in Theology

There are OT passages which are challenging to those who see the Bible through a Christotelic Christ centred lens, but this is not one of them.

FTFY Changed it for those of us who had no idea what that word meant. :D

Changed it for those of us who had no idea what that word meant. :D

#441060 The Golden Rule?

Posted by Richard on 06 July 2012 - 09:12 AM in Philosophy

Very insightful. The reverse golden rule, or silver rule, or whatever you want to call it, sounds a lot like the gospel the world preaches "if it doesn't harm other people it's OK". Proactive positive religion is what the truth is all about.

#441016 'Spirit' in Galatians

Posted by Richard on 04 July 2012 - 12:17 PM in Theology

Hyperion has done a study on Galatians.